Re: Assigning variables in a rule

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Assigning variables in a rule
Date: 23 Mar 2006 11:38:34 -0500

%% lamthierry@gmail.com writes:

  l> Ok, that works now on Linux. Does anyone know if there exists a windows
  l> version of GNU make?

GNU make is quite portable: it can be built from the same source code on
virtually any UNIX system, including SysV-based as well as GNU/Linux and
the various BSDs, etc.  It also can be built on VMS, Amiga, DOS, and
various Windows environments.

The source code is available at the usual places.  There are some issues
with GNU make 3.80 on Windows; you will have better luck trying to build
the latest release candidate for GNU make 3.81, which can be found here:

    ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.81rc2.tar.gz

  l> We are currently using nmake for windows XP and that eval function
  l> doesn't to work.

$(eval ...) is unquestionably a GNU make-specific feature.  I don't know
of any other implementation of make that has anything even close to it.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@gnu.org>          Find some GNU make tips at: