Re: Should build dependents when headers change

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: Should build dependents when headers change
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:55:19 +0200

"Eric Lilja" <mindcooler@gmail.com> wrote:
> My problem is that when I do a change in either header and then perform
> a make, make doesn't think anything needs to be recompiled. So I end up
> doing $ make clean ; make which, of course, rebuilds everything. How
> should I teach make to recompile files dependent on the headers I
> mentioned above whenever they have been changed?

I don't know if this group has a FAQ, but I did answer this only two days
ago and it seems that only 5 more messages has been written in this group
since then.

Method 1)

Manually add lines like:

crc32.o: crc32.h globals.h

Method 2)

Let gcc do the job for you, modify the following lines in your Makefile:

%.o: %.cpp %.d
        $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $<

%.d: %.cpp
        $(CXX) -MM $(CXXFLAGS) -MT $@ $< > $@

ifneq ($(wildcard *.d),)
include $(wildcard *.d)
endif

clean:
        rm -f $(OBJECTS) $(EXEC) *~ *.stackdump *.d

regards Henrik
hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@variousus.net root@localhost