automake: how to install all files of a given type?

From: Heiner
Subject: automake: how to install all files of a given type?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 19:52:20 +0200

Hi!

I am creating an Makefile.am, which should compile a html help from
docbook sources. The docbook sources are some .xml and one .xsl file. If
xsltproc has compiled them, a set of .html files is created. I want to
install them all:

AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
SUBDIRS =

pictures = apicture.gif
source_tarball_files = testproj.xsl testproj.xml test_chapter.xml
EXTRA_DIST = $(source_tarball_files) $(pictures)

htmlhelpdir = $(helpdir)
htmlhelp_created_files = testproj.hhc testproj.hhp testproj.hhk
htmlhelp_DATA = *.html $(pictures)

all: testproj.hhc

$(htmlhelp_created_files): $(source_tarball_files)
        $(xsltproc) testproj.xsl testproj.xml

*.html:

does, what I want (look at the *.html behind htmlhelp_DATA). Unfortunately
it works only, if I add the strange *.html target, so I guess, this
solution is quite dirty. Is there a cleaner one?

I do NOT want to list the *.html manually, as they can quickly change
(list in java, where one .java file produces an arbitrary number of .class
files)

Heiner
h.eichmann@nospam.gmx.de
Remove the nospam to get my real address