Problem with libtool, intel compiler, shared libraries on Mac OS X

From: Mark Asbach
Subject: Problem with libtool, intel compiler, shared libraries on Mac OS X
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:14:59 +0200

Hi GNU developers,

I'm not sure if this is a bug in libtool or just a misconfiguration, so
please excuse the cross-posting ...

We have a cross platform Autotools project, most parts of which I set
up. It is using autamake/libtool to generate a set of libraries. On Mac
OS X, I want to create a Darwin Framework as well, which makes it
necessary to create a big shared library that consists of all the code
that is usually split over four shared libs. So I now let libtool create
four convenience libraries, create four shared libs that consist of one
convenience library each and an additional shared lib that is assembled
from all convenience libs.

All works well when I ./configure with gcc/g++, but when I go for the
intel compiler, libtool doesn't create shared libraries. If I specify
"-no-gcc", libtool reports that it can't create shared libs and defaults
to static, if I configure with gcc compatibility, libtool seems to work
but produces empty libraries (not containing the stuff that's in the
convenience libs).

Can someone give me a hint on what to do?

Yours, Mark

--
  Dipl.-Ing. Mark Asbach                  Tel +49 (0)241-80-27677
  Institut für Nachrichtentechnik         Fax +49 (0)241-80-22196