newbie question: Compiler relocation ??? What is that?

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: newbie question: Compiler relocation ??? What is that?
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 19:47:46 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to learn a opensource program written in C++. I compiled everything with a ./Allwmake script and turned on debug information by setting an environment variable. I only partly works - Some of the files still don't have debug information included (I want to debug into the code with ddd / gdb).

----

I first got this reply:

1)
I guess there are still some .o or .so files lingering around which were not properly touched by your Allwmake. Use the find-command to find all .o and .so files in your installation that were created BEFORE your own building session and remove them. Then rebuild.

Then I got this:

2)
This looks like a problenm with compiler relocation. I usually build mine into /usr/tmp, which makes it easier, but you should be able to easily build your own compiler. You can download gcc-4.1.1 source from one of the gcc sites. Then, remove the compiler from ~/(program_name)/linux/gcc-4.1.1 (just delete the directory + I am assuming you're using linux) and build your own using the following steps:

cd ~/(program_name)
mkdir linuxSrc
cd linuxSrc

Copy the compiler tar pack here (if you cannot find it, pls let me know and I will leave one for you somewhere convenient).

tar xzf gcc-4.1.1.tar.gz
mkdir gcc-4.1.1-obj
cd gcc-4.1.1-obj
../gcc-4.1.1/configure --prefix=~/(program_name)/linux/gcc-4.1.1 --enable-languages=c,c++ --enable-shared

Now build it:

gmake bootstrap

and install it:

gmake install

You can now delete the directories in ~/(program_name)/linuxSrc

------

I don't understand anything of answer number 2.... So what is "compiler relocation" - and gmake???

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk