A simple bash key binding question

From: Jarmo Hurri
Subject: A simple bash key binding question
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 14:55:27 +0300

Hi all!

Our newsserver does not seem to have gnu.bash, I hope it's ok to post
this question here.

The following bash command used to bind Meta-p:

bind '"\M-p": history-search-backward'

but does not work anymore (I am assuming that our bash version was
updated recently), and it seems that in a bind command "\M-p" now
means some exotic character:

% ====================================================================
hurri@wrl-89:~/fs-home/tmp$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.1.7(1)-release (i386-redhat-linux-gnu)

hurri@wrl-89:~/fs-home/tmp$ bind -u history-search-backward

hurri@wrl-89:~/fs-home/tmp$ bind -p | grep history-search-backward
# history-search-backward (not bound)

hurri@wrl-89:~/fs-home/tmp$ bind '"\M-p": history-search-backward'

hurri@wrl-89:~/fs-home/tmp$ bind -p | grep history-search-backward
"ð": history-search-backward

Can someone tell me how this binding can be done correctly now? Thanks
a bunch in advance.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use firstname.lastname@cs.helsinki.fi .