Re: Makefile 'abort' command? / 'elseif' to go with ifeq/else/endif? (Ma

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: Makefile 'abort' command? / 'elseif' to go with ifeq/else/endif? (Make newbie)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 08:34:05 +0100

"LiquidEyes" <news@liquideyes.net> wrote:
> 2. Is there a way to abort Make prematurely? (The equivalent of #error in
> C.)

Do a simple call to false. The false command allways returns an error. The
error will cause make to halt unless you did call with "make -k", then
make will try to continue with other targets that doesn't depend on the
aborted target.

> ifneq ($(COMPILERSUPPORTED),yes)
>  @echo Compiler '$(COMPILERNAME)' not supported.
>  # I want to abort here instead of proceeding with the build!
> else
>  @echo Building with $(COMPILERNAME)...
> endif
> ###############################################
>
> The only thing I can think of is to deliberately call a system command that
> I know will return an error... but that seems a bit of a fudge.

I my opinion it is "the right" way to do it:

ifneq ($(COMPILERSUPPORTED),yes)
  @echo Compiler '$(COMPILERNAME)' not supported.
  false
else
  @echo Building with $(COMPILERNAME)...
endif

regards Henrik
hc8(at)uthyres.com Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@variousus.net root@localhost