GNU make 3.81.1 for MinGW32

From: james . kanze
Subject: GNU make 3.81.1 for MinGW32
Date: 4 Feb 2007 13:38:48 -0800

This is sort of a wierd question, but...

I'm porting a fairly large bit of code from Unix to Windows.
Amongst other things, the build system makes heavy use of
GNU make 3.81 features, like $(eval...).  For reasons I've
yet to analyse, the only version of make which has worked
for me is one I downloaded under the name
mingw32-make-3.81.1.tar.gz, and installed in the bin of my
Unix toolkit (UWin).  Trying to document the procedure, I
repeated the steps I'd done, and encountered two very
bothersome problems.  The first is that UWin won't
uninstall; I'll probably end up having to format the disk
(after which, I will switch to MSys---a program which won't
uninstall is another name for virus, in my mind).  The
second, and the one I'm asking about here, is: where on
earth did I download this version of GNU make?  I can't find
it anymore.  (The properties sheet says it was downloaded
Oct. 27, 2006.)

--
James Kanze (Gabi Software)            email: james.kanze@gmail.com