Re: Make with another make as a prerequisite

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: Make with another make as a prerequisite
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:13:39 +0100

crjjrc@gmail.com wrote:
> I think I've found a simple enough solution to this problem.

I have another solution, but as you already have found a solution which
works you might not want to use my way:

-8<---------------------------------
all: myprog

myprog: mysrc.c ../lib/mylib.a
        gcc -o $@ $^

../lib/mylib.a: FORCE
        cd ../lib && $(MAKE)

# Used to force some rules to always be compiled
FORCE: ;

The above Makefile doesn't know anything about how mylib.a is made.
Instead it allways calls another makefile who has the responsibility to
update mylib.a if needed.

Only if mysrc.c or mylib.a has been updated myprog will be rebuilt.

regards Henrik
root@localhost postmaster@localhost