Re: core format not recognized

From: K. Richard Pixley
Subject: Re: core format not recognized
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:50:03 -0700

No clue without examining your core file.

However, if your error is reproducible, you can still debug. Just run it under gdb. When it fails, you'll be at a place suitable for debugging just as though you were debugging with a core file.

--rich

Christian Christmann wrote:
Hi,

after running an application and getting an segmentation fault, I want to figure what part of the code is responsible
for that. For this purpose I use GNU gdb 6.4.90-debian. I run:
"gdb EXECUTABLE core" and get the error message:

core" is not a core dump: File format not recognized

(code is compiled with gcc 3.4.6 and -g)

So, debugging is not possible. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Regards,
Chris