Re: autoconf/automake building a distribution?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: autoconf/automake building a distribution?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:53:16 +0200

Hello Pallav,

Please keep the mailing list in Cc: so others can help/learn as well
(and I don't have to go search for your original post), thanks.

* Pallav Gupta wrote on Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 06:38:09PM CEST:

>  Thanks for getting back. Here is the information you requested: I'm running
>  automake 1.6.3 on OSX Tiger 10.8.4 running darwin kernel 8.9.1. I have an
>  empty Makefile.am in the m4 directory. However, in my base directory, the
>  Makefile.am file looks like this:

[...nothing suspicious...]

>  And my src/Makefile.am looks like this:

[...nothing suspicious either...]

>  Do I need to put something in m4/Makefile.am? Right now its just an empty
>  file. Thanks for your time and help on this.

No, it's ok if m4/Makefile.am is empty (but then you could also remove
it and omit it from listing in configure.ac:AC_CONFIG_FILES and m4 in
Makefile.am:SUBDIRS).

I had a vague feeling of deja-vu when I read your first mail, but didn't
know what to look for then.  I've searched a bit now, this may be it:
Do you happen to have extra spaces following the arguments of AC_INIT,
as in
  AC_INIT(package , 1.0 , bug@address)
                 ^     ^
?  Because if you do, please remove them.  M4 only strips the leading
(unquoted) spaces of macro arguments, not the trailing ones.  I think
a package name with such a space can lead to weird failures.

If that was not it, please post configure.ac, or a link to a tarball of
the package.

Cheers,
Ralf