How to disable -rpath with libtool?

From: wintaki
Subject: How to disable -rpath with libtool?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:51:03 -0700

Hi,

We are using libtool 1.5.6.  How can we disable libtools use of
rpath?  It is causing us trouble.

The problem is we are build libraries that are then later shipped and
installed on other systems.  We can not control where they get
installed since it is a customers system.

Now what happened was the rpath embedded in our .so's happened to
partially match a broken NFS mount on a customers site.  This then
caused the system to hang for a long time when trying to start the
apps because the system tried to look in the rpath that was not valid.

I really don't see the need for rpath at all, maybe it makes sense on
other systems, but we are on Linux & Solaris.

Is there a way to disable this?  I googled a bit but most of the
discussions seem to be from around 1999 on the debian mailing list.

Thanks for any info.