Re: Backup scripts

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Backup scripts
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:32:05 -0500

TBlittlefoot <littlefoot8@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 12:26:47PM -0500, Joel J. Adamson wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I'm using Slackware GNU/Linux 12.0 and would like to back up certain
>> files in my home directory: these are just data and configuration files,
>> not system files of any kind.  Reading the `tar' manual I came across
>> the backup scripts, on my system in /usr/bin/backup.  I created a
>> backup-specs file, and have gotten a bunch of errors that don't seem to
>> jive with the documentation.  Here's my backup-specs file:

[...]

>> /home/joel/etc/backup Super-User > backup -f --time=now
>> backup -f --time=now
>> /dev/sdb1: Invalid argument
>
> Perhaps it needs to be mounted.

Perhaps...

> grep mount /usr/sbin/backup didn't produce anything.

That's what I thought the first time.  The drive has been mounted the
entire time.  I did discover that it was incorrectly partitioned
(i.e. not partitioned).  But I solved that and I still get the same
error.

I'll take a deeper look at the script itself.

Thanks!
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson