Re: echo bug?

From: Randy Yates
Subject: Re: echo bug?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:24:20 -0500

prj@po.cwru.edu (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> wrote:
>> Asking for help does not give permission to denigrate.
>
> What exactly did you find to be denigrating?

"Without knowing what 'doesn't work' is supposed to mean..."
sounds denigrating to mean.

If you had only read the post to which you were responding, I agree the
meaning would be unclear. But taken with my original post, it seemed
pretty clear to me that I was simply saying that the spacing with the
"-e" option is not correct, which is what I originally meant to write.

OK ok - I accede your point - if I had simply cut and pasted it, I
could have avoided this error.

>> Without knowing where to look, the search space is enormous.
>
> Try "man echo" and "man bash".

I did that before I posted, but I guess I missed it. The keyword is
"EXPANSION" and I didn't know to look under that keyword, and reading
through the entire bash man page is quite tedious.

I've never cared for the bash man page - it's too big and covers too
many topics in one page. Organizing things a little more hierarchically
would greatly aid digestion.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She tells me that she likes me very much,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %     but when I try to touch, she makes it