Re: gmake help with removing duplicate files

From: Jonathan
Subject: Re: gmake help with removing duplicate files
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 12:04:32 -0800 (PST)

Ralf,

> I think you want to use an archive (a static library) for your "remote
> objects".

Well, a considerable amout are.  However, some portions are not and
cannot be put in a library for a variety of reasons.  So, we return to
the problem at hand.

> > > With GNU make, use $(sort $(LIST1) $(LIST2)).
> >
> > This will return:
> >
> > file1.o file2.o file3.o path/file3.o path/file4.o path/file5.o
> >
> > which has the duplicates file3.o and path/file3.o.  The sort function
> > uses the entire filepath/name string rather than just the filename.
>
> I'm sure GNU make's functions can be hacked to provide this, but I don't
> think it's worth it, see above.

I figured the GNU make user-function utility would be sufficient to do
this.  My original algorithm to construct LIST3 just needs some way to
be recursive...