Re: sort - specifying sort fields/keys.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: sort - specifying sort fields/keys.
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:46:52 -0600

cga2000 wrote:
>    $ info coreutils sort
>
>    .. rather than,
>
>    $ info sort

Yes.  But try that with 'pr'.  The problem is that it matches a
substring of "printing" too.  Instead try 'pr invocation' to get to
the pr page.

  $ info coreutils "pr invocation"

>    .. as "man sort" curiously recommends .. and there you have it, the
>    compleat gnu sort manual!

Newer versions now recommend the full "sort invocation".

>    No idea if this was part of my base install, or I fished it out of
>    some non-debian repository and forgot all about it.

I haven't researched it to root cause myself but many bug reports
indicate that it is an install-info problem in building the info
directory.  Note that the Debian install-info isn't the same as the
GNU install-info.  This is getting addressed.

Bob