Re: Command failure: Too Many Files (rm, ls, tar)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Command failure: Too Many Files (rm, ls, tar)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 14:33:57 -0600

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Mine is from Debian testing or unstable.

Of course Debian Testing at this time is in the queue for release as
the upcoming stable Lenny.  But it hasn't released yet.  I try to
avoid advocating normal users to use unreleased bits.  Developers are
on their own and everyone has their own ideas of how to manage systems
anyway and it isn't productive trying to get developers to agree.  And
of course Debian unstable Sid is always development and never
releases.  (I know you know this but am just saying it for the archive
for readers who come later.)

> > It is only a matter of time before this propagates.  But time is also
> > what keeps everything from happening all at once and so we will need
> > to wait a bit before this shows up on most machines in the wild. :-)
>
> Sure.  But you can also spread the word now, maybe that will cause it to
> propagate faster!

You have prodded me sufficiently.  I added a short blurb about it at
the end of this entry:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/faq/#Argument-list-too-long

If you would like to see more there feel free to suggest something! :-)

Bob