Re: HP-UX Chicken/Egg with binutils?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: HP-UX Chicken/Egg with binutils?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:37:50 -0600

andrew fabbro wrote:
> Yes, I mentally mis-sorted and thought 2.9.1 > 2.18...it is, strictly
> decimally speaking ;-)

Being the pedantic person I am (yes, a-r is hyphenated) you can't mean
decimally because 9 < 18 in a decimal world. :-)

> 2.9.1 recognizes ia64, but doesn't compile (fails in elflink.c), at least

Uhm...  Seeing 2.9.1 confuses me.  You know that 2.9.1 is ten years
old because we just talked about it.  Or did you mean that you did
download 2.18 and binutils-2.18 is having a problem with elflink.c?

> not with HP's stock K&R cc.  Unfortunately, I can't build gcc until I build
> binutils...I'm going to see if I can track down HP's ansic compiler and see
> if that produces better results.

Bootstrapping a bare system quite an involved process.

Many people use the prebuilt tools at "The Porting and Archiving
Centre for HP-UX" to good effect.  Perhaps they would be useful to you
as well.

  http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/

Bob