linking and symbol placement

From: tns1
Subject: linking and symbol placement
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:29:31 -0700

I am porting some older gnu makefiles and linker scripts to a newer version of GCC. I have one linker script that I don't see how to update.

SECTIONS
{
   GROUP :
   {
    COMMON :
    {
     a.o
     b.o
     c.o
    }
   }
}

This generated a segfault until I removed the GROUP : { } encapsulation. It links, but the order in which the symbols appear in the map is not what I expect, and not the same as under the older tool.

Under the older tool, like items (data for instance) seem to appear in the same order in which they are defined in the source files, and the same order the source files appear in the script. Under the new tool the symbols still end up in the same section, but the assignment is not very orderly. I am wondering if this is because the GROUP command is no longer supported, or perhaps the new tool is using different metrics (minimize distance?) to place items in memory.