GNU gettext transitional translation - how to do it?

From: nagylzs
Subject: GNU gettext transitional translation - how to do it?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I have a

messages.en.po

file, extracted from various sources. We have translators who
translated them into several languages. We are using standard gettext
command line utils for extracting, merging and compiling message
catalogs, for example:

shopzeus.pl.po  - contains polish translations for the original
english msgids
shopzeus.sk.po  - contains slovakian translations for the original
english msgids
shopzeus.hu.po  - contains hungarian translations for the original
english msgids

Now we got a translator for another language, but she cannot read/
write in english. Instead of translating A -> C directly, we would
like to use A -> B translation, give it to her, then she can do B -> C
translation. Finally, we would like to merge these into an A -> C
message catalog file. (A-English, B-Hungarian, C-Romanian)

I know that this is not the best way to do it - translators should
always translate the original text. However, we do not have this
option right now, and the "not recommended" way should be possible.

But how to do it? I was reading gettext documentation but I could not
find out what command line options to use.

Formally:

Step 1:

# Create a file with hungarian msgids.
PROG01 shopzeus.hu.po shopzeus.hu_ro.po

Step 2:

The user processes shopzeus.hu_ro.po, translating hu messages into ro
messages.

Step 3:

# From EN->HU and HU->RO translations, create EN->RO translation.
PROG02 shopzeus.hu.po shopzeus.hu_ro.po shopzeus.ro.po

Q: what are the names of PROG01 and PROG02 programs and how to use
them?

Thanks,

   Laszlo