Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries d

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Using Emacs with Autotools projects : separate source and binaries directories
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 15:07:27 -0700

fuhz.fr@gmail.com wrote:
> In fact my compilation output is not exactly the same. It is slightly
> different.
> Because I am a french people, my gnu make program has been translated
> in french.

Okay.  Makes sense to me.

> So the output is:
> [...]
> make[2]: entrant dans le répertoire « /home/fuhz/TEST/hello-2.3-
> mybuild/src »

ah... yes.

> Don't know why, but my Emacs do not seem to be able to track french
> make output correctly.

When I start emacs using a french locale I can also recreate your
problem.  When using a non-english locale I get the same behavior of
emacs not being able to track the make output directory and not
locating the source files automatically.

I am sure that it is possible to configure emacs to know about
localized make output and then it would track it for you too.  It
apparently just doesn't know about anything except english for make
directory tracking messages.  In the emacs compile.el emacs-lisp file
it defines the regular expressions used to parse the output.  Look for
compilation-enter-directory-regexp-alist.  A lot of good information
in that file that I am sure would help you out.

> I have just download gnu make and compile in english, and it just
> works.
> Emacs jumps to the right source file.

It isn't necessary to completely recompile.  You could just set make
so that it uses an english locale.

  (setq compile-command "LC_ALL=C make")

But that would also pass on to the compiler and error messages would
also be english.  So perhaps your solution is best for you.

> It's so cool.
> Thank you guys.

Glad to have been able to help and have it come to resolution.

Bob