Re: diffh

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: diffh
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:06:42 -0600

Hi Ian,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

   I have written a modern version of the old diffh.

Cool.

    Would it be of interest to the GNU project?

I expect it would make sense to be part of diffutils.  The problem is
that the diffutils maintainer is overloaded and isn't likely to be able
to work on it any time soon.  See below.

    It is currently just public domain but I could do a version that
    came with the GPL.

Public domain seems ok.

    It is here

<http://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/Ian.Cottam/index_files/idiffh.c>
    if you want to have a look.

Since that's only about 18k, my best suggestion is for you to post the
actual code to bug-diffutils with a Subject: that includes diffutils, so
it will end up in the archives and can be considered in due course.

If you don't feel like taking the time, I'll be happy to do it ...

    It wasn't written to GNU style or
    codeing conventions.

Well, that won't make it any easier to integrate, but something is
always better than nothing :).

Thanks,
Karl