Empty Files using diff

From: James Kosin
Subject: Empty Files using diff
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 15:19:27 -0400

Dear Peers,

I'm using diff and have noticed one small issue.  I'm using it for
helping with creating patch files for perl.  But, have noticed one small
limitation.
Diff doesn't want to specify a difference for a file that is empty and
created vs a file that isn't there.
Example:
--------
perl-5.10.x/.... /.Zork.pm ( is an empty file that has been newly
created with a size of 0-bytes)
perl-5.10.0/.... does not contain the file or the new directory where
the file is in perl-5.10.x

If you do a 'diff -aNurp perl-5.10.0 perl-5.10.x', you don't get the
newly created directory or file that has been created.

Maybe adding an option to allow 0-byte files being created when they
don't originally exist in the source location.
But, then again, I'm not sure how patch will handle the output to create
the 0-byte file either....

Any help is welcome or suggested.  As a side note, I've temporarily
fixed this by finding all the 0-byte files and creating them with a
script after patching with the changes.

James Kosin