Re: diff: [ENHANCEMENT] add option to support compressed files: -z, --co

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: diff: [ENHANCEMENT] add option to support compressed files: -z, --compress
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 11:10:05 -0600

Jari Aalto wrote:
> Please add new option -z, --compress to support compressed files.
> An example:

Note that this exact same message was also mailed to bug-gnu-utils and
so I will duplicate my follow-up from there.  Please don't post the
same question to many lists all at the same time.  It creates a
fractured discussion.

>    diff -u -z progam.1  /usr/share/man/man1/program.1.gz

Note that modern shells including GNU bash allow this through the
command line shell.

  diff -u program.1 <(zcat /usr/share/man/man1/program.1.gz)

Bob