[make] include of include

From: Eric
Subject: [make] include of include
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi there,

as I did not get further information in the online make user manual, I
am asking for help here. Here is my problem, I am using the GNU Make
3.80.

consider the following host structure:

application/services/makerules/check.rule:
[...]
include ./instrdeps.rule
[...]

application/services/makerules/instrdeps.rule
[...]

application/models/BD/Makefile:
[...]
include ../../services/makerules/check.rule
[...]

The following error is then showing up:
../../services/makerules/check.rule:2: instrdep.rule: No such file or
directory

I do not really understand how Make includes other files, I was
awaiting that the include directive first seeks for the file to
include in the same directory where the file originally exists.
What I mean, is that the file check.rule "include ./instrdeps.rule"
should look for the instrdeps.rule in the same directory as where the
check.rule is located.

Now that I witnessed this strange include methods, does someone have
an idea how I could solve my problem?

Note: I have to use relative paths

Regards
--