Re: background jobs in makefile

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: background jobs in makefile
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:04:04 -0000

James <hslee911@yahoo.com> wrote:
> all:
>         for f in xx yy; do\
>                 (make $$f &);\
>         done;\
>         wait
>         @echo [ $@:done ]
>
> xx yy:
>         sleep 2
>         @echo [ $@:done ]
>

> How do I put backgroud jobs in makefile?
> "wait" does not seem to work here.

The right way to do it:

Makefile:
-8<-------------------------
all: xx yy

xx yy:
        sleep 2
        @echo [ $@:done ]
-8<-------------------------

Then, at the command prompt type:

make -j 5

The number after -j is the maximum number of simultaneous jobs that make
will spawn. It is also possible (but sometimes dangerous) to not give any
number att all:

make -j

Then make does not limit the number of simultaneous jobs spawned.

regards Henrik
hc123(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost