Re: Shell script migration from Unix to Linux

From: Henrik Carlqvist
Subject: Re: Shell script migration from Unix to Linux
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 23:33:15 +0200

"George Thomas Irimben (georgeti)" <georgeti@cisco.com> wrote:
> Is there any Wrapper Shell or other utilities existing in Linux, to help
> script migration from Unix to Linux?

There is no significant difference between "Unix" and Linux distributions,
but there are differences between different shells. But of course
different distributions might have different programs and different paths
to programs. This also holds true for different versions of Unix.

> This unix2linux shell should hide the behavior/output differences and
> make the Unix scripts run seamless on Linux.

Do you have any example of such problematic differences?

> Example:
>
> #!/bin/csh -f

In most Linux distributsions csh is a symbolic link to tcsh which is
supposed to be enhanced but completely compatible with csh. So what kind
of trouble do you get? What kind of "Unix" does your script come from?

regards Henrik
hc351(at)poolhem.se Examples of addresses which go to spammers:
root@localhost postmaster@localhost