Re: GNU Question

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: GNU Question
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 11:54:31 -0600

Kray Mitchell wrote:
> If there is a piece of software that says it's GPL, but requires a
> 'Support Fee' as well as a domain for 'support' (Both required) in
> order to download the software. Is this still classified as 'GPL'?
> Or is this a backhanded way to try and accept a fee for the
> software?

The "free" in free software is for "freedom" not "free of charge".  In
many ways if it were called freedom software instead of free software
it would avoid a lot of confusion over other flavors of software.

And so the answer is yes.  It is allowed by the GNU GPL to charge
money for software.

This may sound surprising but for this right also extends to the next
person too by means of the GPL.  In other words if Alice is selling
software but releasing it under the GPL then when Bob downloads it
then Bob is also allowed to distribute it and may also charge for it.
And so can Carol.  If the cost charged by Carol is less than either
Alice or Bob then Dave who wants the software too will get it from
Carol instead.  And then Dave can distribute it.  And so on.  In
contrast with some other licenses that do not, the GNU GPL has the
cost of requiring that the original freedoms must be preserved when it
is distributed.

Since the cost of distribution of software is very low the natural
equilibrium point for charges for free(dom) software tend to be very
low.  Very low for most free software is virtually free.

I have only partially explained this complicated topic.  Please read
these references for the real answers:

  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

And also:

 Search for "charge" for several entries in the FAQ.  Too many to list
 out here individually.
  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

If I explained this imperfectly in my description then the above
references should correct any errors I made.  Please read them for the
real answers.

Bob