Re: How to include automatic variables as part of a dependency

From: Michael Powell
Subject: Re: How to include automatic variables as part of a dependency
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:16:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:11:39 PM UTC-4, Michael Powell wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder is this possible.
>
> $(OBJS):
> # compile ...
>
> $(EXES): $(@:.exe=.obj)
> # link ...
>
> Where OBJS is the requisite list of object files, and EXES is a corresponding
> list of executables.
>
> This is running via Git for Windows of course, GNU Make 3.80.
>
> I could have sworn this was working for me the other day, but now on a sudden
> it is not.
>
> I can probably work around this desired approach, but I'd like to go this
> route if possible.

I should also clarify, now when I run with debugging enabled (-p -e), the
intended dependency is effectively turning up blank, like it wasn't there.

I'm not sure, possibly this post sheds some light on it as well.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/gnu.utils.help/automatic$20variables|sort:relevance/gnu.utils.help/I_dK4G-1uCc/a2vwIVxYMHIJ

Which potentially I'm looking at a constructed makefile scenario for the
desired approach.

Alternately, I could potentially depend on the object patterns themselves a
rule or two higher in the chain, alongside the executables. That would work
around it as well without potentially confusing matters further.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!