Re: Help required regardingGNU Assembler Problems-Reg.

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Help required regardingGNU Assembler Problems-Reg.
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 14:15:32 -0600

Hello Sundar,

mastercomputerservices 1957 wrote:
> A lot of confusion there.I am opening one page then another page is coming
> immediately as the same matter with  very little difference,that is why I
> am confused regarding binutils.This is first time I am using GNU group
> software.I am a senior citizen and also eye sight is there.That is also one
> of my mistakes.
>
> Anyhow I am requesting all of you for my mistakes.
> Sorry for the troubles created by me.
> Please pardon me.

:-)

Please do not worry further.  We are all friends here.  And this is
the perfect mailing list for help topics like this.

> Last one is how to send my problem?  Plain text, word document also
> not allowed.  Because I know masm32 and visual masm compilers.
> Everytime I am copying and pasting my routines on the masm
> compilers.  Please try to educate me.

On technical mailing lists used by the free(dom) software community
almost everywhere it is always best to use plain text email.  The
reason is that we have readers of email of all types.  Some are
totally blind.  Some are vision impaired.  Some are color blind.  Some
are young.  Some are old.  And on and on.  The use of plain text makes
it easiest for the reader to be able to read what is written.

Then simply ask your question.  In this case I am not an assembly
language programmer these days.  It has been 40 years since I last
wrote an assembly language program!  Therefore I have no idea about
the syntax of your example.

The first thing I would do is read through the GNU as documentation
thoroughly.  I don't know but I would hope most syntax questions would
be answered in it.  I find the documentation for the current version here.

    https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.35/
    https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.35/as/index.html

If that doesn't answer the question or if you still have questions and
need clarification then write to the binutils project and ask.  The
people on that mailing list are just like the people on this mailing
list.  All people that want to help.

When writing for help let me suggest this.  Send a message to
binutils@sourceware.org with something like the following information.
First please say what operating system you are using.  And then what
version of the GNU binutils you are using.  And if it is a "port" then
where it came from.

I think you say you are using MS-Windows XP.  In which case you must
be using a port of the GNU binutils to it.  Where did you get the
port from?  And list the version of it.  Here is an example from my
GNU/Linux system.  The --version option prints the version of the tool
and the target of it.  This is useful information.

    $ as --version
    GNU assembler (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.1
    This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
    the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
    This program has absolutely no warranty.
    This assembler was configured for a target of `x86_64-linux-gnu'.

That's from my system but anyone would need to know that information
from your system.

Then I would say that you are familiar with masm and are trying to
make use of the GNU assembler and having problems with the syntax.  I
think it would be fine to give a small example of masm syntax and say
that you are trying to do the same thing in GNU as and are having
trouble figuring out what that should be.  I feel certain that one
familiar with it would be able to help give the translation and help
with how the assembly language is different and in what way.

Here is an example if it were me.  (It's not going to be me, it is
going to be you.  So you would need to write this in your own words.)

    My operationg system is Debian Sid Unstable.  I am using this version
    of GNU binutils.

        $ as --version
        GNU assembler (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.35.1
        This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms
of
        the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
        This program has absolutely no warranty.
        This assembler was configured for a target of `x86_64-linux-gnu'.

    I have been reading the documentation here:

        https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs-2.35/as/index.html

    But I can't figure out this problem.  I have used masm before and in
    masm I would do this:

        LES    BX,DWORD PTR [BP+6]
        MOV    AL,SI:[BX]

    I try to convert it into this syntax.  (Be sure to say verbatim what
    you are trying to do.)

        lesl    %bx,dword ptr[%ebp+6]    # what is the correct syntax?
        movl    %al,%esi:[%ebx]          # what is the correct syntax?

    But that is producing an error.  The error the assembler is giving me
    is this error.

        ...paste in the exact command you are using to invoke it...
        ...paste in the error message output here...
        ...be sure to include both the command and the error message exactly...

    Any help would be kindly received!
    My Name Here

That's simply an example.  Please re-write it in your own words.  This
above was from my system and as you can see it is very different from
your system!  You can see the information that is needed to help
people help you.  Because the people answering the questions may be
running very different systems from yours.

1. Ask simple small things one at a time.  Do not try to ask 20 things
all at one time.  That's overwhelming to someone trying to help.  But
with small questions one at a time you get small answers one at a
time and make steady progress.

2. Repeat as needed.  If there are 20 questions then one at a time you
will find 10 answers and then suddenly you won't need to ask the last
10 because it will all be understood and not needed! :-)

Good luck!
Bob