Re: [Help-gnucap] newbie: edit and BJT's

From: Hugo van der Merwe
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] newbie: edit and BJT's
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:37:45 +0200

> This is a known bug in 0.31, fixed in 0.32, due out soon.

Cool, thanks! (May I ask what is "soon" in the gnucap project, a couple
of weeks?)

> The one that isn't fixed is what happens when reading an "NA"
> in the input.

Which probably doesn't matter, does anything generate netlists with NA,
now that gnucap no longer does?

> I can't answer this one without a netlist.  Do ng-spice and
> gnucap agree?  That is, give the same "strange" result?  How
> about older versions of spice?  If so, that leads me to believe
> there is something wrong with the parameters.

Gnucap and ngspice agrees. I could possibly try hspice later. I was more
concerned about problems similar to what I had with ngspice: it being
strictly spice3 based, Is parameters greater than 1 aren't adjusted...
iirc. I'm happy to hear gnucap is aiming at full spice2/spice3
compatibility...

> > Is there some place to find a nice summary of what has been
> > implemented and what has not in terms of spice2/spice3
> > compatibility?
>
> No.  There should be, and will be.  It's called a "to-do" list.

;) Thanks.

> > How far down the line might monte-carlo analysis be, years,
> > or months?
>
> Probably a long time, unless someone (you??) wants to help do
> it.

I'll see what the future holds, and learn a bit more about how circuit
simulations work, and what this feature looks like in e.g. hspice... No
promises whatsoever, but I might just investigate ... in January. (What
is a "long time" in the gnucap project, a couple of years, I'd think?)

Thanks,
Hugo van der Merwe