Re: [Help-gnucap] Simulating progress over time with gnucap

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Simulating progress over time with gnucap
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:10:52 -0400

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 14:28, Daniel Kraft wrote:
> I'm new to gnucap and want to use it for some simulation.  I
> need to simulate the currency flows over time, but I couldn't
> find out yet how to do a time-based simulation (for instance,
> of an RLC circuit).
>
> Just using a dc-command seems to be somewhat statically to
> me.

Transient analysis  (transient or tran command) .

Linear DC analysis is boring.  A few years ago, when I was
teaching a senior level C++ programming class for EE's, I had
them write a simple DC analysis simulator as a homework
assignment.  The results were wonderful.  They finally really
learned the basic concepts that officially are covered in the
circuits-1 course.  They also learned how to organize a
program, object oriented programming concepts, ...  all on one
homework assignment!

In gnucap, (and also Spice) the DC analysis is intended for
analyzing static conditions, like the DC operating point of a
transistor circuit.  Once you have established the DC operating
point, you can do an AC small signal analysis (AC command), a
fully nonlinear transient analysis (tran), a spectrum analysis
(Fourier), with lots of variations.