Re: [Help-gnucap] Wave output analisys

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Wave output analisys
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 01:46:34 -0400

On Thursday 31 August 2006 07:46, Rubén Gómez Antolí wrote:
> There are a easy form to analyze outputs waveform?
>
> It's no easy with gnuplot, and gwave doesn't offer advance
> features.
>
> I need to change X axis, cursors, point data, zoom to zone...

gwave does that.

To use gwave ....

Do an analysis directing to a file...
gnucap> ac 20 20k decade >somefile

Then run gwave on the file....
gnucap> !gwave somefile

I tried to make it work as a pipe, but gwave doesn't work with
stdin.

gnucap> ac 20 20k decade |gwave
doesn't work, because of gwave.

> This is for a university practical exercizes, my teacher
> "loves" windows, I'm in the way that show him that "GNU/Linux
> side" is good and easy too; Gnucap, Geda, KJWaves... helps me
> to do that.

The difference is that with gnucap, etc.  that you can change
it, study it, and participate.  Windows is designed to inhibit
learning.  Some teachers consider this a plus, because it keeps
you from getting distracted from the homework.

There is an incredible amount of pressure to use the commercial
stuff.  Texts are written for it.  Profs are harrassed if they
don't use it.  There are bribes.  Book publishers insist on
demo versions of commercial software, not GPL.

Another issue, leading to "loves windows" is that recently EE is
attracting a lot of students who can't make it in CS.  They
won't be very good in EE either.  They drag down the class and
teachers try to accomodate them, often at the expense of the
good students.

While you are doing your homework, you can help us a lot, very
simply.  Do it both ways, and write up FOR US some experiments
using geda/gnucap/gwave.  When you have problems, don't just
put it aside, but let us know.  Maybe you can write a
web-book "getting started with....".