Re: [Help-gnucap] can gnucap output impedance as a function?

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] can gnucap output impedance as a function?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 08:26:44 -0400

al davis wrote:
On Monday 02 April 2007 17:32, Wen wrote:

Is there a a possibility to make gnucap output the impedance
of a part of an electric circuit as a function of the
frequency?
it would output something like
z(freq)=
R1/(1+(R1*2*pi*freq*C1)^2)+R2/(1+(R2*2*pi*freq*C2)^2) + j*
(-(R1)^2*2*pi*freq*C1/(1+(R1*2*pi*freq*C1)^2)-(R2)^2*2*pi*fre
q*C2/(1+(R2*2*pi*freq*C2)^2))

Is gnucap able to give me such output? If not, can you
recomend another free program thats able to do that?

No.

ages ago there was a program called "xfunc" which would do this. I've tried to track down the author to see about bringing xfunc back to life but without any luck.

I have thought about a way to do it, based on something like the AC analysis with a "polynomial" type instead of "complex". I think it is fairly simple in concept except that the complexity of the result builds up fast. When you look at it you see common expressions that can be eliminated. That's hard to do. Also, when you do it manually you will drop insignificant terms. That also is difficult to do.

this is correct.  xfunc is only good for smaller networks.

Unless you have a good starting point, this optimization can be rather ill conditioned. If you have an ok starting point a circuit optimizer may be the easiest. Not as satisfying as really trying to apply some filter theory, but it can get the job done. You can probably code up something fairly quickly in your favorite scripting language and use gnucap for the circuit calculation.

-Dan