Re: [Help-gnucap] Trying to configure under cygwin

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Trying to configure under cygwin
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 00:37:27 -0500

On Monday 28 January 2008, Wes Brenner wrote:
> I tried the ./configure.old.  I think that it may be that I
> used winzip to unzip and untar.

Winzip should work, but I don't know.  I don't use it.
Sometimes there is an option for whether or not to convert.  It
should not be necessary to convert, but sometimes it is.

Did you unpack again when you tried ./configure.old?

What did it say?

> What directory should I be in, Should any directories be
> created, and what syntax of the tar command would I use to
> build the directory structure and files from
> gnucap-.035.tar.gz

unpack with "tar xf gnucap-0.35.tar.gz"

It makes a directory gnucap-0.35.  "cd" to it.  I think that is
the answer to "what directory should I be in".

configuring makes more.

You should be able to do either "./configure"
or "./configure.old"   then "make".

configure.old doesn't have a lot of clutter when it is
configured, or when it is compiling.  It is the preferred way
for development or when you are having trouble.  "./configure"
has lots of extra options to fit installers and installlation
options, so it is usually the preferred way when you just want
to build and install.  The cluttered output is unfortunate, but
that is the way it is.