Re: [Help-gnucap] Possibly a bug?

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] Possibly a bug?
Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 01:40:29 -0400

On Wednesday 22 May 2013, Orestes Mas wrote:
> If soo, why not do an OP analysis automatically before every
> AC one? If  I remember correctly, this is precisely what
> spice does...

In this case .. there is a bug that causes a divide by zero on a
zero-ohm resistor, with a simple fix.  (Does this also happen
with a zero-Henry inductor? .. need to check)

To answer your question of why not automatically do an op first
...   It's more flexible this way.  Instead of forcing a nominal
static condition, gnucap uses the most recent point from the
most recent dc, op, or tran, which lets you do AC analysis at
non-static points.

For a simple example, consider a class-B amplifier, underbiased
a little so there is a crossover notch.  The usual op would set
the operating point in the middle of the notch, so the AC
analysis would be useless, other than to show how bad the notch
is.

Run a transient analysis to get it out of the notch, stop there,
do AC there.  See how it varies with signal swing.  Try it with
different frequencies in the transient analysis.  The results
can be very different from any static guess.