[Help-gnunet] Paper: "Request Algorithms in Freenet-style Peer-to-Peer

From: Doug Bostrom
Subject: [Help-gnunet] Paper: "Request Algorithms in Freenet-style Peer-to-Peer Systems
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:15:12 -0800

I've been following with interest the development of "Freenet" for some time. While perusing the developer mailing list there, I ran across this paper referenced in a posting:

http://www.lclark.edu/~ppair/mache.pdf

The authors seem to have done some pretty good work, and make the following claims:

"Freenet’s original request algorithm is not very effective in changing the overlay network. This is due to (1) successful request adding only a small number of new connections and (2) failed request not changing the network at all. Our new “recycle” algorithm changes the overlay network on failed requests. It yields big improvements in the performance of subsequent queries, up to a factor of 3.34.

We also tested several new strategies to further reward the fulfiller of successful requests. The “breadth-neighbor” strategy performed well, yielded improvements of up to a factor of 1.38.

It is very beneficial to combine both ideas, “recycle” for failed requests and some form of reward for successful requests. Our simulation results showed performance improvements of up to a factor of 9.25."

Apologies for posting this here, but I'm not a developer and thus did not want to join the developer mailing list. I've only just discovered Gnu-net, and thought that since your network is in an earlier stage of deployment than Freenet it's possible the ideas cited in this paper might be easier to adopt should they prove valid.

Now I'm going to see about setting up a "gnu-net" node...