Re: [Help-gnunet] Inserting large amounts of content?

From: Per Kreuger
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Inserting large amounts of content?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:14:55 +0200

Ok, I've tried the cvs version of (friday 18) and adjusted only the Disk quota to 5G.

Still I failed after inserting about 3.5G in 946 files. At this point the size of /var/lib/GNUnet/data was about 2.5G i.e. half of the allowed disc quota.

The error reported at failure was:

        WARNING readTCPResult failed server, closed connection
        WARNING server did not send confirmation of insertion
        WARNING child->insert failed on level 1, pos 0, aborting
        WARNING child->insert failed on level 2, pos 0, aborting
        WARNING child->insert failed on level 3, pos 0, aborting
Error insering the file (-1)

What is probably worse is very distinct degradation of insertion speed. I enclose a postscript file with the insertions-rate listed and graphed over the several hours it took to insert the 946 files.

Since I failed inserting the last file I tried a gnunet-check -a on the resulting database. Somewhere in the index chek part it started to report failure

        "PIdx database corrupt (could not unlink ...) from low DB ..."

After some 40 hours I interupted this process and tried to restart gnunetd. It appears to come up fine and I can find and download at least some of the files I've inserted. I don't see any other host and I get a timeout from ojmv http when (I guess) downloading the nodelist but this could have other reasons.

Trying to insert additional files after restarting gnunetd gives the same error as above but also fills the logfile with "PIdx database corrupt..." messages and then crashes gnunetd.

It would be interesting to know why the insertion speed degrades. I noted that the size of gnunetd grew to about 60M during the insertion process and that the distribution of sizes of the DB-buckets was quite uneven all through the process. In the end, there are 20 content buckets (bucket.5120.0-19) and their size vary from 27M to 444M. The index buckets are all of approximately the same size (3-4M).

Why are there content buckets at all? I had content migration disabled in the config file.

        Hope this helps

        piak