Re: [Help-gnunet] New to gnunet

From: Benjamin Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] New to gnunet
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:45:48 +0000

On Sunday 11 April 2004 05:33 pm, Marcos D. Marado Torres wrote:
> > Right, that's definitely a nice feature.  Nevertheless, don't expect
> > something similar to show up in GNUnet anytime soon (I would not mind a
> > sound patch that achieves something similar, but I don't think anyone
> > with the necessary expertise is currently working on this, so don't get
> > your hopes up).
>
> But why not add it to the TODO list?

FEC does help keep files on the network, but it comes with its own set of
cons. Like nearly doubling the time it would take to insert/index a file. And
how many blocks will gnunet-download try to get - all of them, or just enough
to reconstruct the file? It seems to me (and I'm definitely not an expert)
that FEC will eat more bandwith and cpu than it's worth when the problem of
missing blocks can be avoided by responsible node operators
reindexing/reinserting files that they've downloaded and would like to see
remain on the network.

If FEC does wind up in GNUnet (which would not be all bad ;-) I'd like to see
it as an option and not a requirement.