Re: [Help-gnunet] amock? during gnunet-check run

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] amock? during gnunet-check run
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:39:04 -0500

On Friday 23 April 2004 11:52, Christian Schulte wrote:
>  I was just now running gnunet-check and after about 20min of lots of disk
> activity the disk activity stopped and i got tons of these messages.
>
> Bad CHKS content indexed for 1F42D6BB107EE7F6356F18C24EC0D1C3ED5FEE71 Will
> fix (deferred). Apr 23 23:02:56 WARNING: Could not open file
> /home/dg1nsw/gnunet/up/./300megabyte.mpg (102).
>
> Sure this file is gone :)
>
> It runs now for about 2h like this. I guess the messages on the console are
> a real slowdown factor.
> Now i dont know if this is okay and i should just let it go on, or if
> there is something wrong with it ?
> Someone experience with that ?

Well, gnunet-check is known to be sloooooooow.  It was never meant to be run
by anyone but developers who want to detect inconsistencies caused by bugs.
Of course, it turns out to be useful for users that screwed up (removed
files, system crash, etc).  But it just cannot be made fast.  So, if you have
the patience, let it run, it's probably ok (unless you're using the latest
CVS on 0.6.1d databases, Igor reported some problems there).  I doubt the
console messages are a problem (typically we're IO bound), but -L NOTHING
turns them off.

Christian