Re: [Help-gnunet] bandwidth on ADSL

From: dot
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] bandwidth on ADSL
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:40:24 +1000

Hi,

I have set MAXNETBPSUP to about the maximum byte/sec my ADSL can handle
upstream, and MAXNETBPSDOWN to:

       N x 2^30 / D x 24 x 60 x 60

(where N is gbytes remaining this month, D is days left this month)

...but my downloads still go way over.

Looking at gnunet-stats, the "% of max" levels look ok.
But my bandwidth usage is going crazy (see below in megs):

June 7
18:00 - 18:59   7.48
19:00 - 19:59   11.37
20:00 - 20:59   18.25
21:00 - 21:59   26.41
22:00 - 22:59   41.74
23:00 - 23:59   27.57
June 8
00:00 - 00:59   39.30
01:00 - 01:59   26.88
02:00 - 02:59   34.10
03:00 - 03:59   36.32
04:00 - 04:59   32.97
05:00 - 05:59   42.65
06:00 - 06:59   45.07
07:00 - 07:59   41.51
08:00 - 08:59   29.35

...which is from the middle of the night last night, after I set
MAXNETBPSDOWN=200 and restarted gnunetd and when absolutely nothing else
was running on the network.

If i have calculated this correctly, this should throttle the downstream to
a mere 720,000 bytes per hour, about 700 Kbyte.

Perhaps I've configured something wrong? Should this be happenning?

I'm behind a NAT box. Is that likely to be significant?

Could the original HELOs my machine sent out when it had the default
configuration (of 50,000 each way) be affecting me somehow?

For now, I'm taking it offline until I work out what's going on.

Hopefully someone can shed some light so I can get things back up and
running :-)

Thanks again