Re: [Help-gnunet] General gnunet question

From: Christian Drechsler
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] General gnunet question
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:20:02 +0100

Hi Lance,

am 15.02.2005 16:47 -0600 schrieb Lance Simmons <address@hidden>:

> Has the usability of gnunent improved recently?  Are there still a lot
> of defunct keys floating around?  Are there people currently using
> gnunet to distribute files?  How many?

I had a gnunet node till about 2 years ago, when my hardware broke down
:-) and I didn't get a new computer at home until now (I don't have net
at home yet, but I hope it will work within the next two weeks). At work
I had win2k only, so it was impossible to use gnunet until now, when the
w32 version came out.

I must say that I am impressed by the improvements compared to what I was
used to two years ago. And there seem to be far more participants than at
that time, too.

I didn't download too many files yet, but 80 or 90 percent of those I
tried were actually available, which is _by far_ more than what I got
then. The speed has increased dramatically, too. It was always below 1K/s
at that time, now I get around 5K/s. This might - beside code
improvements - be a consequence of the fact that there are more nodes on
the net. I first tried gnunet shortly after it was mentioned in the
well-known German computer magazine c't - there were 10-15 nodes
connected at that time. But that slowly decreased until 2-5 connected
nodes were normal. Now I find that there are, depending on what time it
is, always at least five connected nodes, often more than 10 and
sometimes over 20. So it's probably a good idea to stay online and keep
trying to get a file for some days - the provider of the file might be
one of those not staying online all the time.

Regarding content - there seems to be not as much stuff listed as it was
in earlier times, but at least as it looks like yet, you can actually
_get_ what you find. :-) And the content will, of course, only grow if
there are people who provide it.

I guess that this will increase, now that gnunet is available for w32 and
Mac OS X.

To me, gnunet is the best of concepts for anonymous filesharing networks
I know, so I will support it by joining it. :-)

Regards,

Christian