Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet-download deadlock

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet-download deadlock
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 15:28:54 -0600

On Friday 28 September 2007 11:26:47 am David Kuehling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed a problem of gnunet-download with SVN 5643 (2007-09-18).
> Doesn't react to Ctrl+C even after a day or so of running.  Attached GDB
> and did backtraces on all threads, see gdb.txt (attached).
>
> One thread waits on another to quit via 'pthread_join'.  Other thread
> waits on some mutex... looks like a deadlock.
>
> Although I played quite a lot with gnunet-download, this only happened
> once so far.

This looks like it maybe an issue with gnunetd -- gnunet-download is merely
waiting for an operation to complete with gnunetd (and the assumption is that
gnunetd completes this type of operation (reading request from socket) almost
instantly.  So either your gnunetd is super-busy or deadlocked itself -- this
is NOT a deadlock in gnunet-download (more like blocking IO).

If it happens again, a gdb trace of gnunetd might give some insight.

Best,

Christian