[Help-gnunet] Hostlist Servers

From: David Kuehling
Subject: [Help-gnunet] Hostlist Servers
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:27:23 +0200

Hi,

over the weekend I just noticed how difficult it can be to bootstrap a
gnunet node, when no hostlist servers are available.  The gnunet.org
site was down (maintainance?) and most of the other hostlists that came
up via Google were outdated or unavailable :(

So to help out in the future, I'm now running my own hostlist server:

http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/gnunet-hostlist/hostlist

Gnunet's contrib/ directory contained a simple CGI script doing the job,
but I wanted something that doesn't require CGI to minimize load on my
server.

So I ended up with a cron-script that runs 4 times an hour, atomically
updating the hostlist file served by apache.  The required
scripts+config files and minimum documentation can be found here:

http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/freesvn/trunk/gnunet-hostlist

If anybody is interested in running a similar setup, just try

svn co http://mosquito.dyndns.tv/freesvn/trunk/gnunet-hostlist
sudo make install

That /might/ do the job.

BTW is there any central list of hostlist servers where I can add
myself?

cheers,

David