Re: [Help-gnunet] email-like service atop of GNUnet?

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] email-like service atop of GNUnet?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 17:29:32 +0200

On 10/20/2012 05:14 PM, Ivan Shmakov wrote:
>  >> Also, is there be a way for the namespace's owner to search for the
>  >> data sent to him or her that way?
>
>  > Well, again we'd need to define how this would happen (i. e. under
>  > which key the owner would need to search, what the format of the data
>  > is, etc.).
>
>       That being said, I don't quite understand how do I search the
>       data stored under namespaces as currently implemented?  I've
>       tried to publish some data with a command like:
>
> $ gnunet-publish -P 〈pseudonym〉 -t 〈name〉 …

Use
gnunet-search gnunet://fs/sks/PHASH/<name>

where PHASH is the hash of the public key of your pseudonym (gnunet-rsa
can be used to display it).

>       but the following gnunet-search(1) invocation seems to only find
>       it below gnunet://fs/chk/.  (The documentation seems a little
>       bit scarce, doesn't it?  Or was I just looking at a wrong
>       place?)
>
>  >> Or is there any other way to exchange messages between GNUnet users
>  >> (in a secure manner)?
>
>  > The SecuShare people are working on that; GNUnet's mesh routing
>  > infrastructure will be the basis for that, so I'd say message
>  > exchange between users is work-in-progress ;-).
>
>       Indeed, I feel their goals worth pursuing (and their ideas align
>       with my own), but I'm somewhat in doubt as to to what extent
>       they're going to re-use the existing GNUnet code base?

I believe they are firmly committed to building it on top of the MESH
API (GNUnet's multicast infrastructure).

>       Also, their mailing lists' [1, 2] archives are “for subscribers
>       only” (and, presumably, they won't want them replicated at
>       Gmane, either), which is a bit strange for a free software
>       project in general, and a project dedicated to building
>       (effectively) a data replication system in particular.

That's something Carlo should probably address...

Happy hacking!

Christian