Re: [Help-gnunet] Error whilst adding a record to GNS via the GUI

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] Error whilst adding a record to GNS via the GUI
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:32:45 +0200

On 07/10/2015 05:07 PM, Geeb wrote:
> I have got to the bottom of this problem and I think it is probably purely
> the Debian packaging that is faulty.
>
> I'll document it on this mailing list in case anyone else finds it useful,
> but I should probably let the Debian package maintainers know. It is
> confusing for a new user who is following the documentation on GNS on the
> gnunet web site.
>
> The plugin objects required to use the GTK GNS manipulation screen (e.g.
> libgnunet_plugin_gtk_namestore_a.so etc) are only supplied in the Debian
> gnunet-gtk-dev package, which isn't installed by default with gnunet-gtk.

Oh, that's indeed a grave packaging fault.  -dev packages should ship
headers and maybe developer-specific documentation, but *required*
binary plugins for running the GUI certainly should be part of the main
gnunet-gtk package.

> What is more even if you do install the dev package you must then manually
> create symbolic links in /usr/lib to point to these objects as they are not
> picked up, because they reside in /usr/lib/gnunet.

Outch. Ok, thanks for the diagnostic, I'm sure our dear Debian
maintainer will resolve this soon ;-).

> So if you install the dev package and add the sym-links, the GUI GNS screen
> allows you to add new GNS records: It then works correctly.

:-)

-Christian