[Help-gnunet] "Social latency" and the isolated GNUnet user

From: Geeb
Subject: [Help-gnunet] "Social latency" and the isolated GNUnet user
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 11:48:38 +0100

Before I start ranting about this, I realize that there isn't really a solution to this problem (but hear me out anyway).

I use free software and have done for many years on my personal devices, wireless routers - everywhere I can - I get the message that free software promotes your freedom, so I use it!

In my network of friends I am unusual in this respect. I work in IT and even colleagues who use free software as part of their jobs most likely don't run it on their personal devices.

Most people don't really care what software their devices run so long as they appear to function. Most people don't understand how to implement cryptography to protect their privacy/security and therefore neglect to do so. Even those who might want to protect these things might not have the technical understanding of how to achieve this.

So, of all the people I know I don't know anyone else with both the interest and the technical ability to get started with GNUnet. other than myself.

To experiment with GNUnet you need to have at least one other person involved in order to investigate the workings of say GNS.

So ... what do I do? I could ask you, dear reader, if you want to participate in a journey of investigations into GNUnet. BUT ... accepting and trusting, say, a public key of someone you don't know from Adam is completely defeating the whole web-of-trust idea. I know that for experimental purposes this shouldn't be a showstopper, but you appreciate what I mean.

It seems that for projects like GNUnet, getting a critical mass of users will be a problem, as we constantly suffer from the "negative feedback" of the sparse distribution of those with the interest and the technical ability to participate! Not that the leaders of the project should be discouraged, but it is a frustration for average GNUnet peer operator.

Or, maybe I should choose more technically competent friends! :-)

Geeb