Problem compiling Preferences.app: NSNumber undefined

From: Jonathan Hepburn
Subject: Problem compiling Preferences.app: NSNumber undefined
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 20:13:39 +1000

When compiling Preferences.app on a brand-new installation of Mandrake
Linux 8.2, gcc3 and CVS updates of core, last done on Thursday 6th June,
I get the following error message:

PrefsApp.m: In function `defaultValues':
PrefsApp.m:68: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m:68: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only one
PrefsApp.m:68: for each function it appears in.)
PrefsApp.m: In function `getBoolDefault':
PrefsApp.m:80: `NSUserDefaults' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m:81: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
cc1obj: warnings being treated as errors
PrefsApp.m:81: warning: statement with no effect
PrefsApp.m:90: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
PrefsApp.m: In function `-[PrefsApp(Private)
savePreferencesToDefaults:]':
PrefsApp.m:120: `NSUserDefaults' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m:120: `defaults' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m:127: warning: implicit declaration of function `NSDebugLog'
PrefsApp.m: In function `-[PrefsApp bundlesFromLocalButtonChanged:]':
PrefsApp.m:252: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m: In function `-[PrefsApp bundlesFromNetworkButtonChanged:]':
PrefsApp.m:258: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m: In function `-[PrefsApp bundlesFromSystemButtonChanged:]':
PrefsApp.m:264: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
PrefsApp.m: In function `-[PrefsApp bundlesFromUserButtonChanged:]':
PrefsApp.m:270: `NSNumber' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [shared_obj/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/PrefsApp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [PrefsApp.all.bundle.variables] Error 2

And so on.

The only other application to give this problem is Sen:te Software's
CVL, patched for gnustep.

Now: No problems at all on my previous system, which was Mandrake Linux
7.2 on the same hardware, with gcc-2.95 and gnustep-objc.

If that's not enough information, more can be provided. Well... Of
course. BTW, the above report was typed in by hand because I had
problems pasting information into mutt (Yes, I know, but it was there
and I am currently fiddling, and gnustep is currently dead until I stop
fiddling).

I humbly apologise for not following all the gnustep mailing list
discussions, but I am aware that gcc-3.1 has been giving people grief. Do
I need to upgrade?

Any information most gratefully received.

JH