Re: [Mingw-msys] Problem with MinGW/msys build of GNUstep make

From: Paul Butcher
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] Problem with MinGW/msys build of GNUstep make
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 13:48:58 +0100

On Thursday 18 Jul 2002 13:41, Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Paul Butcher wrote:
> > I'm carefully following the README.MinGW instructions on building GNUstep
> > with MinGW and MSYS V1.0.7.  I have the following problem running the
> > configure script of gnustep-make from within msys 'sh':
> >
> > when trying to write each of the files at end of configure (eg
> > config.make, openapp, debugapp, opentool....) the following pair of
> > errors occur:
> >
> > sed: couldn't open file G:TEMPcs422235/subs-1.sed
> > sed: couldn't open file G:TEMPcs422235/subs-2.sed
> >
> > it seems my TMP DOS environment variable (set to G:\TEMP) is being used
> > for tmp directory and the backslashes are taken away by sh - what is the
> > solution??
>
> Hmm...  How is the path name formed within the script?  I will note that
> the /tmp path is a mount point to the value of the TMP windows
> environment variable.  Do you have a TEMP windows environment variable
> set?  If so, what is the value?

TEMP is set same as TMP in autoexec.bat.

However ... looking through the configure script in more detail I note that
temporary files are written to /tmp, which as you say is mounted by msys to
windows TMP directory.  It is then trying to call 'mktemp' to form a unique
temp directory name - due to my path it's possible this picked up the cygwin
'mktemp' which may have returned the incorrect format path to msys 'sed'.  I
will check this out later when back on my Windows machine.

Thanks both for offering help.

Paul Butcher
Alton, Hants, UK