Re: NSActionCell _control_view

From: Rob Burns
Subject: Re: NSActionCell _control_view
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:16:40 +0700

On 2003-12-29 18:35:45 +0700 Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:

Rob Burns wrote:

when the app functions correctly, a description of the NSTableView is printed. When the _control_view variable has gotten set to something else, it will sefgault on the NSLog. The program can be found here:

It did not segfault for me, but printed the following:

2003-12-29 11:57:56.052 Pimzler[3377] cell control view - <GSControlTemplate: 833c4b0> 2003-12-29 11:57:56.053 Pimzler[3377] cell control view - <GSControlTemplate: 833c4b0>

Looks like the Gorm prototype is still stored in the NSActionCell when you are about to display it. One easy fix for this could be not to encode/decode the control view with the NSActionCell. I am not sure why this gets stored at all.

oops, incomplete description again. I too get GSControlTemplate returned sometimes. usually only for the drawing of the first two cells. After that, it reports the NSTableView subclass. niether of these things make it crash for me though. I did manage to find one other person that it also crashed for, so I don't think its unique to my machine/os/library setup. And I've filed a bug report

Thanks
Rob

On the other hand I also don't see, why your application should fail over this. Hmm, maybe the GSControlTemplate has by that time already been freed, as the control view is not retained and you are now referencing an invalid object. Yes, that might do.

I just tested with setting _control_view to nil in [NSActionCell initWithCoder:] and that would work. But we need more input on the side effects of this change or better solutions to it. Best you report this as a bug in the Savannah form, so it wont get lost.

Cheers
Fred